We’re finally finished with Week 4 of the Free AWS Cloud Project Bootcamp. Writing connections to PostgreSQL running on Amazon RDS was pretty tricky, and there was so much to do, there wasn’t a lot of time for any stretch homework. Personally, I was rushing to catch up Week 3 and Week 4 to be ready to start Week 5. I spent many late nights working to try and get everything finished in time, so I could be ready to follow along during the Week 5 livestream. I actually only finished getting everything working while listening to the livestream!
Week 5 will be mainly working with NoSQL Databases and Serverless Caching. More specifically, we will be working with Amazon DynamoDB, and Memento Serverless Cache. Based on the course outline, we will be launching a DynamoDB local, seeding data, writing AWS SDK code for DynamoDB, creating a production DynamoDB table, and adding a caching layer using Momento.
This article is intended to help direct you to all of the resources you should review as you go through the homework assignments. I will not be going through step-by-step how to complete the homework, as the methods will differ for each member, and it’s up to you to complete the assignments. I may post some tips or recommended steps if there are frequent questions or difficulties mentioned, and only if I have time during the week after completing my own homework.
Disclaimer: I am not part of the bootcamp planning or management team – I’m just a participant like you! Nothing I publish should be considered official. Be sure to refer to the official documents whenever possible, as things are frequently being added and changed.
Before You Start
Be sure you’ve completed all the required homework steps for Week 4. Each week builds off the previous one, so you need to have all the tasks finished to progress. If you’re not sure of what needs to be done, check the Student Portal > Submissions > Week 4 page and review the tasks. You can also check out my previous Week 4 – Unofficial Homework Guide article for more details.
Week 5 Viewing Material
More videos will be added as they become available:
- YouTube – Official Playlist
- YouTube – Week 5 – Live Streamed Video – NoSQL and Serverless Caching
- YouTube – Week 5 – DynamoDB Utility Scripts
- YouTube – Week 5 – Implement Conversations with DynamoDB
- YouTube – Week 5 – DynamoDB Stream
- YouTube – Week 5 – Spend/Billing Considerations (TBD)
- YouTube – Week 5 – Security Considerations – How to use Amazon DynamoDB for security and speed
Required Homework Details
For this week, there are a number of tasks related to NoSQL Databases (DynamoDB), and Serverless Caching (Momento). Please refer to the Student Portal for the most up to date task list. I will update this article as needed, if additional tasks are added.
- Learn about Data Modelling (Single Table Design) for NoSQL.
- Implement Schema Load Script
- Implement Seed Script
- Implement Scan Script
- Implement Pattern Scripts for Read and List Conversations
- Implement Update Cognito ID Script for Postgres Database
- Implement (Pattern A) Listing Messages in Message Group into Application
- Implement (Pattern B) Listing Messages Group into Application
- Implement (Pattern C) Creating a Message for an existing Message Group into Application
- Implement (Pattern D) Creating a Message for a new Message Group into Application
- Implement (Pattern E) Updating a Message Group using DynamoDB Streams
Stretch Homework Details
For this week, Andrew has said that he won’t be suggesting any stretch homework tasks, as he believes we will have a difficult enough time completing the required homework tasks. You’re free to create your own stretch tasks, which you can perform and document.
- YouTube – ExamPro – Introduction to DynamoDB
- YouTube – AWS Video Series – Recommended by Kirk
- YouTube – Data modeling with Amazon DynamoDB – Part 1
- YouTube – Data modeling with Amazon DynamoDB – Part 2
- YouTube – What is a DynamoDB LSI (Local Secondary Index)
- YouTube – Momento Serverless Cache Videos
- Andrew’s OmenKing Repository – Week 5 Notes
- Livestream DynamoDB Modelling Diagram
- Livestream DynamoDB Data Modelling Excel File
- AWS DynamoDB Documentation
- Momento Serverless Cache Documentation
- Alex DeBrie – The DynamoDB Book – Boot Camp Discount in Student Portal